Upgrade your 2012 R2 SP1 ConfigMgr environment to 1602 #LikeABoss

Yesterday I went from CM 2012 R2 SP1 CU whatever to CM 1602.

 

 

It’s a really simple process, but if you haven’t done any kind of CM site upgrades before, maybe you feel a bit overwhelmed.  To get started to need to do two things.  The first being verify you have a backup.  If you don’t know how to do this, check out Steve Thompsons blog.

Next, go to your VLSC and download the required media.  (Note: I was already running a fully patched version of SQL Server 2014, so I didn’t need to download that media, and I wont be covering it in this post.)

After the download completes and you’re certain you have a backup of your site, I’d make sure the server that hosts your site is fully patched so that pending reboots don’t break the upgrade.

 

When you’re back up and running, mount the ISO and launch splash.hta which will start the application to perform the upgrade.

You’ll be greeted with this page that defaults to the upgrade so you can leave it as-is.

And you’ll need to accept three sets of EULAs before you can continue.

Now, just like in your production version of 2012, you have prereqs to download.  If you’ve already done so, here’s where you would tell the wizard to grab them for the install.  I prefer to keep anything that’s not the OS on my E:\ drive.

And if you did specify a path to download (aka you didn’t download the prereqs beforehand), the app will then initiate the download as soon as you click next (and it’s really quick too!).

When the download completes you can add language support.  While you  can add languages after the fact, if you plan to add support for anything other than the default, do it now please :).

 

You’ll then configure service connection point and select (the only option) setup type.  If you choose not to connect the service now, you’ll have to do it after the fact.  So unless you have a really good reason not to, just connect now.

Next comes the prerequisite check for the upgrade.  You can ignore the warnings if you want, but you have to remediate all failures to be able to continue.  As you can see here, I needed to install USMT as well as remove Distribution Point role (the only role installed on that server – which is how I knew what to do 🙂 ) from the server that sat on the same cluster as my primary site.

You’ll click through a few more steps and then the upgrade starts.  You can watch what’s going on in the ConfigMgrSetup log on C:\ by opening it in CMTrace.

Go ahead and take a coffee break (I recommend this) because it will take a bit to complete.  When it’s done you can close the app.

Now comes the fun part – getting to 1602.  I, like an idiot had left the console open during the upgrade and saw in the setup log that the new console failed to install.  Even if I hadn’t seen it, I was blocked with an error message that told me I couldn’t connect to my site.  Before worrying about permissions, I decided to reinstall the console – if this happens to you, you can easily reinstall the console by navigating to your ISO and go to SMSSETUP\BIN\I386 and launch consolesetup.exe .

With the console open, go to Administration – Overview – Cloud Services – Updates and Servicing.  (As of today) You’ll see the upgrade for 1602.  Right click it and first run the prerequisite check and then finally right click again to install it.

Note:  You can choose to run against a non-production collection if you have such a thing 🙂 or you can go ahead straight to production.  Since I’m my own boss, I don’t have much of a reason to pick a collection to test against.

And when it’s finished you’ll need a new version of the console again.  This time, clicking Ok caused the console to upgrade without any manual work for me.

If you didn’t already have automatic client upgrades turned on, I really think you should.  I say this because I had it turned on and configured to what works for my environment as far as days to install the client.  It’s great because the new client package was already distributed for me and I can see that some of my endpoints already have the new client.  To turn it on, go to  Administration – Overview – Site Configuration – Sites and go to Heirarchy Settings (on the ribbon) and tick the box to allow the auto upgrade.

And finally you’ll want to check to make sure the client package has been distributed (and if it hasn’t you’ll need to do so) by going to  Software Library – Application Management – Packages.  While you’re in there, check on your boot images too by going to the Operating Systems node in Software Library – they get updated during the upgrade and therefore should be replaced on all your distribution points too.

Depending on the complexity of your environment or if you want to add or remove roles/features you’ll have more work to do.  Of course if you need help, you can always ping me on Twitter.

 

Comments are closed.